POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : POV Mosaic rewritten Server Time
27 Jul 2024 14:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  POV Mosaic rewritten (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ilya Razmanov
Subject: POV Mosaic rewritten
Date: 12 Jun 2024 05:20:31
Message: <6669685f$1@news.povray.org>
Greeting,

I would like to inform that POVRay mosaic collection of Python programs
https://github.com/Dnyarri/POVmosaic
was completely rewritten, hopefully providing more flexibility and
simplicity for end users.

POVRay mosaic is a set of programs, which read every pixel of source
image and convert it into a 3D object, colored after source pixel,
together with neighbour objects, thus creating something like 3D-mosaic.
Object properties (location, size, rotation) can be made dependent
(mapped) on source pixel brightness.

Several old programs were converted to just two: 3zaika and 4zaika,
packing objects into triangle and square grids correspondingly. Main
idea of rewriting was compressing all variables, introduced into initial
versions, into compact set of #define objects, vectors and stuff. For
example, default output of 3zaika is a union of tightly packed spheres,
but you can turn it into perfectly packed hexagonal prisms by changing
"#declare thingie = thingie_1" to "#declare thingie = thingie_4" in the
"Selecting variants" section of exported POV files. Similarly you can
switch predefined finishes and transfer functions. Surely, you can write
your own - easiest way is patching scene with preset.inc files (some
examples are provided). Some rendering examples are provided at
https://dnyarri.github.io/
in corresponding sections. Help file, describing options in presumably
human-compatible form, is included.

Hopefully you'll find it funny enough to start boring your friends with
mosaic pictures.

Suggestions on extending are quite welcome.

--
Ilyich the Toad
https://dnyarri.github.io/

Post a reply to this message