POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Sculptris Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:37:44 EDT (-0400)
  Sculptris (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: stbenge
Subject: Sculptris
Date: 11 Mar 2010 14:08:02
Message: <4b993f92$1@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

Sculptris is a great new free sculpting tool currently in the alpha
stage of development. In some ways it is already better than Blender's
sculpting tools.

 From DrPetter's homepage:
"This is a work-in-progress sculpting tool that I've been developing
since early December 2009. Its main feature is dynamic mesh tesselation
that will provide additional detail where necessary, without the user
needing to worry about it."

What this means is that you won't have to select regions and subdivide
to get more detail. You won't be stuck with too much detail either,
since there is a painting tool for reducing the poly count in local regions.

There are several shaders you can choose from, so you won't have to
sculpt under poor lighting conditions.

There are many tools to choose from. There are tools for
adding/subtracting, inflating/deflating, pinching/unconstricting,
smoothing, reducing detail, flattening/undulating (you can make
brain-like surfaces this way), creasing, transforming and grabbing. You
can mirror all brushes (useful for modeling heads), work in a wireframe
view, and use masks. The new version even appears to support tablet
sensitivity.

The obj export is sometimes a little buggy. In alpha 2, I was unable to
export a model to a format usable in other apps... but it doesn't happen
with all meshes.

DrPetter had originally intended to keep the program as freeware. I
think he will continue to do so, with the option of donating to support
his cause.

Here's the link:
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

Give it a try, and give him some encouraging words, why don't you?

Sam

Post a reply to this message