POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Exporting from povray to Blender Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:02:59 EDT (-0400)
  Exporting from povray to Blender (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: aa
Subject: Exporting from povray to Blender
Date: 3 Apr 2008 07:31:41
Message: <47f4ce2d@news.povray.org>
Hello gentlemens,
does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
modeler Blender.
I have described a scene under POV and I want to rotate it in 3D but real
time, in order to have a dynamic view of this.
Another way to obtain it will be a script that would change the orientation
of the scene in different axes and calculate one image per every move but
obviously it requires a gargantuous amount of computing time!

Please help me or buy me the best actual supercomputer ;-)
thanks in advance

Fab "Bobbyone" CAN habit

Post a reply to this message

> does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
> modeler Blender.
> I have described a scene under POV and I want to rotate it in 3D but real
> time, in order to have a dynamic view of this.

I don't think you can. Except maybe if your scene is made entirely of
meshes, but from your post I guess you have a classic sdl scene description.

> Another way to obtain it will be a script that would change the
> orientation of the scene in different axes and calculate one image per
> every move but obviously it requires a gargantuous amount of computing
> time!

Not necessarily, except maybe if your scene is so complex that each frame
takes two weeks to render. Just make an animation in which you move the
camera around. Read the docs  about this.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

In povray.general aa <aa### [at] emailro> wrote:
> does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
> modeler Blender.

  No.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
> modeler Blender.

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/filesQandT.html#povtootherformatsdifficulty

Post a reply to this message

>> does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
>> modeler Blender.
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/filesQandT.html#povtootherformatsdifficulty

None of the links in that section work.

Post a reply to this message

aa nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/04/03 08:31:
> Hello gentlemens,
> does someone know if there is a way to export POVray content to the 3D
> modeler Blender.
> I have described a scene under POV and I want to rotate it in 3D but real
> time, in order to have a dynamic view of this.
> Another way to obtain it will be a script that would change the orientation
> of the scene in different axes and calculate one image per every move but
> obviously it requires a gargantuous amount of computing time!
>
> Please help me or buy me the best actual supercomputer ;-)
> thanks in advance
>
> Fab "Bobbyone" CAN habit

Is your scene composed mainly of meshes? Did you use some outside utility to
create those meshes? Yes: re-export in a format that Blender can use.
Can you convert the rest into meshes?

Do you use isosurfaces? Parametric objects? Complexe CSGs? Blobs? Then, NO! And,
no, I definitely can't afford to get you any kind of "super computer".

You may be beter recreating your scene specificaly for Blender.

--
Alain
You know you have been raytracing for too long when the animation you render