POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : ArahWeave running under Windows XP Server Time
24 Apr 2024 03:43:43 EDT (-0400)
  ArahWeave running under Windows XP (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: ArahWeave running under Windows XP
Date: 25 Sep 2006 15:00:35
Message: <45182753$1@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure how many of you caught Jaime's posts regarding using ArahWeave
(http://www.arahne.si) for cloth similations.  No, it doesn't simulate
dynamic cloth, but it similates creating the cloth/fabric itself, which can
then be used as a texture for whatever purpose you want.  You can create
some incredibly realistic materials with this.  And it's fun!

Here is a link to some of Jaime's experiments.
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Synthetic_fabrics

Recently, I decided to try to install ArahWeave, which only runs under
Linux, on my Windows XP system, using a free VMWare image and the (free)
VMWare.  While I had quite a few problems initially, it's actually very
easy, if you grab the right Linux image.

First, you'll need the vmware player, available here:
http://www.vmware.com/download/player.  So download and install that.

For any Windows user, the SuSE Linux distro with KDE desktop should be
fairly familiar.  Honestly, I think even my Mom could use it these days.
Here's a link to what I am using:  http://developer.kde.org/~binner/vmware.
It's about 800MB, though, so be forewarned.  Download the zip file and unzip
it to wherever you want.  Once it's unzipped, simply start the VMWare player
and select your downloaded (and unzipped) vmware image file.  It should
start booting Linux.

Once Linux has started up, you can use the web browser (Konqueror) to
download and install ArahWeave.  Their website already has pretty good
newbie Linux instructions on how to install ArahWeave, so I won't go into
that.

Once ArahWeave is installed, follow the tutorial on their Web page, and you
should get a general feeling of how to create a woven texture.  For me, it
took a couple hours of messing around before I was able to do anything
remotely useful, but soon, I got the gist of it.  Even so, I'm still largely
lost in the software, but I can create nifty checker patterns.  Or, just use
any of the many fine included fabrics, changing whatever colors here and
there that you want to.

I'm still an extreme novice, but what I am already able to do is pretty
cool.  I figured other Windows users could benefit from this post.

Good luck!

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not sure how many of you caught Jaime's posts regarding using
> ArahWeave (http://www.arahne.si) for cloth similations.  No, it doesn't
> simulate dynamic cloth, but it similates creating the cloth/fabric itself,
> which can then be used as a texture for whatever purpose you want.  You
> can create some incredibly realistic materials with this.  And it's fun!

Thanks Jeremy (and Jaime too of course)!
I've always wondered about creating cloth textures so this could be the
answer.

G.

Post a reply to this message