POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Shade 7 (anyone?) Server Time
18 May 2024 09:45:05 EDT (-0400)
  Shade 7 (anyone?) (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Shade 7 (anyone?)
Date: 7 Dec 2004 20:48:11
Message: <41b65d5b$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
>
>> St. wrote:
>>
>> The thing is, Wings is awkward for use with Poser. It's the
>> winged-edge paradigm that is the problem.
>

> Awkward maybe, but not impossible?
>
> Anyway, I won't be using Poser for some time yet, (if at all), so I'll
> stick with what I know.
>
> ~Steve~

Virtually impossible, definitely unusable.  Anything saved from Poser to
.obj will import very badly into Wings.  Wings does its best to guess at
  which edges are adjacent and it does remarkable well, but the results
are really not usable.

So, for instance, if you had some idea, like I did, of making general
figure "cages" in Wings, importing into Poser for posing, then back into
Wings for further refinement, it is not really practical.

I have gotten passably good at importing back and forth between Wings
and Uvmapper while keeping the uv's intact though.  This lests me do uv
manipulations in Uvmapper at the cage level then applying them to the
smoothed result.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 8 Dec 2004 11:22:10
Message: <41b72a32$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> Since I'm still just a Wings beginner,

THere is Wings to learn, which has some sense of containment
actually,...like Silo but unlike Maya.  Then there is MODELING to learn,
which feels like infinity.

I recently used your "women's shoe"
> tutorial for creating something similar (not a woman's shoe), as part of my
> POVComp entry.  Very nice tutorial.  Very helpful.  :-)

Thanks for saying so.  Writing tutorials (or most course materials for
that matter) always has this "it's obvious and after the fact" sense to
it.  You kind of do it on blind faith that it might be useful to
somebody else, somehow.

Shoes, of course, are a well known sexual fetish, and are one for me. I
believe they act as a fetish because they are objects, and carry a
bodily reference together with a gender symbolism. But one of the
reasons I loved painting them, aside from the sexual component, was that
they combined organic form with characteristics of an object.  This
combination is also closely paralleled in CG imagery,...just a thought.