POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data : Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data Server Time: 19 Jun 2019 06:41:13 GMT
  Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 May 2019 16:45:00
I came across this during a search for an entirely different subject (as usual)
but have a long-standing interest in data-based heightfields for rendering IRL
terrain in POV-Ray.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Maxbe/Relief_mit_POVray

In English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstreetmap.org%2Fwiki%2FUser%3AMaxbe%2FRel
ief_mit_POVray

I'm not sure how to locate the grid that I want, and get the data.
I've managed to get that data in the past, and somehow magically open the files
and process them, but it seems to work differently every time, and the last time
I tried I failed.   :(

I'd prefer to do this in Linux, but even if I need Win, I'd just like to get the
data and quickly and efficiently make a heightfield.

A simple, documented workflow would likely help anyone else interested in doing
this in the future.

Like GrADS, the learning curve seems to initially be a bit steep.  :|