POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Re: Problem with Bicubic Patch Server Time
18 May 2024 09:48:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with Bicubic Patch (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Problem with Bicubic Patch
Date: 5 Jul 2001 11:32:39
Message: <3B4488E8.6F2EF805@gmx.de>
Eli Ewok Brody wrote:

>  All --
>     I'm sure this has been a problem before, perhaps even solved before. At
> any rate, I am becoming desperate. sPatch objects (eg. Unions of bicubic
> patches) do not support world xyz coords. This turns shading into a
> nightmare. I've tried lots of combinations - not making it a union, merging
> them, assigning textures individually... nothing works. It's possible to
> make a triangle mesh out of it, but I have never been impressed by meshes,
> and would rather use slightly more resolution independant objects. (The best
> being Our Friend the Primitive.)
>     What can I do? Is there some bug in POV-Ray? Is there something simple
> I'm overlooking?

This is certainly a bit the wrong group for such things (so i set followup
to p.a-u)

First of all bicubic patches are internally converted to meshes in povray
so it's not reasonable why you couldn't achieve the same accuracy with a
mesh.  Another thing which i already mentioned in another reply, bicubic
patches are a very limited shape, only certain surfaces can be modelled
and when you try to approximate cylinders, spheres etc. with several
patches you will have to expect strange results.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>