POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Area Lights... for a florescent light Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:45:31 EDT (-0400)
  Area Lights... for a florescent light (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Alan Nickerson
Subject: Area Lights... for a florescent light
Date: 2 Aug 2000 18:31:15
Message: <3988a133$1@news.povray.org>
I cannot seem to get an Area light to actually emit light as if it was a
single row of lights, to simulate a florescent light tube.

Alan

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Area Lights... for a florescent light
Date: 3 Aug 2000 00:03:01
Message: <3988eef5@news.povray.org>
"Alan Nickerson" <ani### [at] iversoftcom> wrote in message
| I cannot seem to get an Area light to actually emit light as if it was a
| single row of lights, to simulate a florescent light tube.

To phrase it shortly, they don't do that.  'area_light' is still a point
source when it comes to highlights, etc.  They're simply for shadow
smoothing.
To get the bulb to look right you'll need to use 'media', an emitting one at
that, or simply a high ambient in the bulbs finish statement of a cylinder
object.  Then use it as a 'looks_like' for the area light (you'll still need
the softer shadows).

Bob

Post a reply to this message