POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : (Off topic) General modelling programs? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:52:20 EDT (-0400)
  (Off topic) General modelling programs? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: TigerHawk
Subject: (Off topic) General modelling programs?
Date: 12 Jul 2000 18:29:37
Message: <396CF0C9.5556CB42@stic.net>
First, done misunderstand me - Pov-Ray is wonderful and amazing (as is
Moray, btw). But for a current project I am undertaking, I need
something that is more general - for on the fly based rendering so I
need a general format for objects (not scenes, but actual objects). I've
been hunting around the povray links page and have yet to find something
that might work for me (aside from sPatch, but I also need more precise
inorganic objects that can be done in sPatch, but not easily :) so I was
hoping someone could direct me somewhere to a freeware, or better but,
no cost modeller that can output in more standard file formats (even a
RAW would work :)

Thanks!

Tim Soderstorm
TigerHawk

Post a reply to this message

TigerHawk <tig### [at] sticnet> wrote in message
| First, done misunderstand me - Pov-Ray is wonderful and amazing (as is
| Moray, btw). But for a current project I am undertaking, I need
| something that is more general - for on the fly based rendering so I
| need a general format for objects (not scenes, but actual objects). I've
| been hunting around the povray links page and have yet to find something
| that might work for me (aside from sPatch, but I also need more precise
| inorganic objects that can be done in sPatch, but not easily :) so I was
| hoping someone could direct me somewhere to a freeware, or better but,
| no cost modeller that can output in more standard file formats (even a
| RAW would work :)

Have you seen Blender?
http://www.blender.nl/

Here's a page with a big list of mesh generation software:
http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/software.html#public_domain

I wouldn't worry too much about file formats as you could always convert them
later using, for instance, 3DWin:
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/

If it's non-organic objects you're after, why not use CSG modeling within
POV-Ray itself?

Bye.

Post a reply to this message

> Here's a page with a big list of mesh generation software:
> http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/software.html#public_domain
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about file formats as you could always convert them
> later using, for instance, 3DWin:
> http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/
>
> If it's non-organic objects you're after, why not use CSG modeling within
> POV-Ray itself?
>
> Bye.

Post a reply to this message