POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:51:37 EDT (-0400)
   (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Me  :)
Date: 30 Dec 1999 22:24:19
Message: <386c21e3@news.povray.org>
Greetings pov'ers

I am at my wits end now....
What I'm trying to get is fog with *visible* turbulence.
Like when it starts raining on a hot day, and the steam rises off the road,
with cars driving by, you get this swirling 'turbulence' effect in the
steam.
I have messed around for hours with fog, and ground-fog, but I just can't
seem to get the turbulence even to an extent where you can see it.
So now I'm calling out to the masses for help.  :)
Anybody with an idea or a piece of source that can do this, would really
make my day.
And speaking of rain...  any ideas on how to create reasonably acceptable
rain / snow / hail  without having to create millions of separate objects ??
Ken ... ??  You seem to be the 'resident' expert ?? *hint hint*  ;)
Thanx in advance !!

Ciao for now, and a WONDERFUL new year to all !!
May the next millenium bring pc's that can render *any* scene
in less than 10 seconds...     ;)
--
Charl Rousseau
Email : Lut### [at] mailboxcoza  or  Lut### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

> What I'm trying to get is fog with *visible* turbulence.
> Like when it starts raining on a hot day, and the steam rises off the
> road,
> with cars driving by, you get this swirling 'turbulence' effect in the
> steam.
> I have messed around for hours with fog, and ground-fog, but I just can't
> seem to get the turbulence even to an extent where you can see it.
> So now I'm calling out to the masses for help.  :)
> Anybody with an idea or a piece of source that can do this, would really
> make my day.

Sorry, can't help much here, since I have never used fog. You might want
to try media, it is more versatile and more realistic, although it is
slower. The method 3 media in MegaPOV is an improvement over the
standard POV, it might be worth checking out.

> And speaking of rain...  any ideas on how to create reasonably acceptable
> rain / snow / hail  without having to create millions of separate objects
> ??

Kind of funny you should ask this, I have been experimenting with ways
of doing rain lately.
Probably the best way would be an isosurface object with a noise3d()
function. This would allow you to simulate millions of drops with just
one object, and very little memory. Of course, this can't be done in
standard POV, it requires MegaPOV again. Another advantage of MegaPOV is
that it has motion blur, which could be very useful for the raindrops.
Oh, and this question would probably be better put in
povray.advanced-users.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

>May the next millenium bring pc's that can render
>*any* scene in less than 10 seconds...     ;)

Amen. :)

Post a reply to this message

TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote in message
> >May the next millenium bring pc's that can render
> >*any* scene in less than 10 seconds...     ;)
>

> Amen. :)

Post a reply to this message

Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote ...
> In article <386c21e3@news.povray.org>, "Me  :)"
> <cra### [at] netactivecoza> wrote:
>
> > Greetings pov'ers
> >
> > I am at my wits end now....
> > What I'm trying to get is fog with *visible* turbulence.
>
> Sorry, can't help much here, since I have never used fog. You might want
> to try media, it is more versatile and more realistic, although it is
> slower. The method 3 media in MegaPOV is an improvement over the
> standard POV, it might be worth checking out.

Yes, you'll want to use media.  It is slower but it is the only way you'll
be able to achieve the effect that you want.

-Nathan