POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Rounding off edges Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Rounding off edges (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: TigerHawk
Subject: Rounding off edges
Date: 27 Aug 1999 18:19:52
Message: <37C862D1.C1A56DE7@stic.net>
About a week ago I started creating a toilet model in pov-ray (yes,
I know it's been done, but I wanted my own toilet :) via a text editor.
I did not want to use a modeller because I'd be able to move things
around better (I suppose I could make peices of it in a modeller, but
the scaling may be off, etc. Besides, I like CSG). The problem I have
encountered is the smoothing of the edges. Now, I know I can use a
superellipsoid for the tank and tank lid, but what about the seat and
the top of the base? Using cylinders and such makes the edges very sharp
(OUCH!) and I am wondering how might one go about smoothing them
out? Superellipsoinds can't do rounded cylinder shapes (or can they?) so
I am kind of stuck

I thought about using CSG of the difference of a square and the side of
a cylinder, and using that and differencing that with another object,
but that would only make a mold for a straight-edge.

Any ideas?

Tim Soderstrom
TigerHawk
Tig### [at] SticNet

Post a reply to this message

> About a week ago I started creating a toilet model in pov-ray (yes,
> I know it's been done, but I wanted my own toilet :) via a text editor.
> I did not want to use a modeller because I'd be able to move things
> around better (I suppose I could make peices of it in a modeller, but
> the scaling may be off, etc. Besides, I like CSG). The problem I have
> encountered is the smoothing of the edges. Now, I know I can use a
> superellipsoid for the tank and tank lid, but what about the seat and
> the top of the base? Using cylinders and such makes the edges very sharp
> (OUCH!) and I am wondering how might one go about smoothing them
> out? Superellipsoinds can't do rounded cylinder shapes (or can they?) so
> I am kind of stuck
>
> I thought about using CSG of the difference of a square and the side of
> a cylinder, and using that and differencing that with another object,
> but that would only make a mold for a straight-edge.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tim Soderstrom
> TigerHawk
> Tig### [at] SticNet

Prisms and lathes are pretty powerfull features. A prism for the tank lid
and a lathe for the seat with an uneven scaling to make it oblong.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: