POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Macro Recursion Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:54:37 EDT (-0400)
  Macro Recursion (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Macro Recursion
Date: 25 May 1999 21:05:38
Message: <374b3ad2.0@news.povray.org>
I am having trouble converting some of my #while loops into recursive macros
(where you call the macro from inside the macro). I seem to remember reading
something about it in the docs, but can't find it now. I can post some
specific problems if needed, but the recurring problem is "too many nested
macros",  and if I don't get that, I get unexpected results that seem to
stem from lost values in variables.

Is there a tutorial around? Or does someone remember where it is in the
docs?

Post a reply to this message

> I am having trouble converting some of my #while loops into recursive macros
> (where you call the macro from inside the macro). I seem to remember reading
> something about it in the docs, but can't find it now. I can post some
> specific problems if needed, but the recurring problem is "too many nested
> macros",  and if I don't get that, I get unexpected results that seem to
> stem from lost values in variables.
>
> Is there a tutorial around? Or does someone remember where it is in the
> docs?

In general, try to avoid recursion in POV. its far slower and more
memory consuming than a #while loop. (or a set of them).

i don't remember the limit, but it's easy to test it...

#version 3.1;
#macro test(N)
  #debug concat(str(N,0,0),"\n")
  test(N+1)
#end

test(0)
camera{ <0,0,0>,<1,1,1> }
sphere { <1,1,1>,0.02 pigment{colour rgb 1}}

That should suffice to count them ..

//Spider

Post a reply to this message