POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Hieghtfields? Server Time
4 May 2024 20:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Hieghtfields? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: SHELLEYB1
Subject: Hieghtfields?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 20:56:56
Message: <36B11504.228C@prodigy.net>
Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to use hieghtfields.  I've
already read POV documnentation and I dont understand it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Hieghtfields?
Date: 28 Jan 1999 21:50:18
Message: <36B121DA.8634BE71@pacbell.net>
SHELLEYB1 wrote:

> Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to use hieghtfields.  I've
> already read POV documnentation and I dont understand it.

From here on height fields will be referred to as HF's.

You have every right to not understand since it is a difficult
subject.

Pov will create a triangle mesh like object using height values
from an image. The lowest points correspond to black and the
highest points correspond to white. Different shades of grey
in between will correspond to height values inbetween black and
white. These points if the image is made right will make a
topograhical mesh.

The easist way to use HF's with Pov is by using an external
program to create the HF's image. There are several good
programs for this and I recommend you find one that suits
your needs. The one I like to use is called Leveller. It
has a wide array of options available to help you create
some very realistic mountains, text objects, lake basins,
etc.

Once you get better aquainted with the process you can use
your knowledge to create your own HF images without the
need of and external program. This process is not for the
faint of heart and takes a conciderable amount of knowledge
to make it work.

If there is a particular aspect about HF's that is still
confusing you please ask specific questions. Many people
around here can help out.

For a list of good programs to work with HF's see the Pov
VFAQ. It also has a section called bright objects that
will answer your other question concerning Light Bulbs.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html

There are many other great information items on the VFAQ
and you are urged to read it all the way through then
bookmark the page for further reference.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message