POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Import of other 3d-files ??? Server Time
5 May 2024 01:59:46 EDT (-0400)
  Import of other 3d-files ??? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Povray
Subject: Import of other 3d-files ???
Date: 6 Jan 1999 09:25:08
Message: <36937244.0@news.povray.org>
Hi !

Im interested in using povray as an rendering device for autocad or
microstation created 3d-constructions.....

All i need is import of DXF-Files to Povray or better DGN respectively
DWG-Files since it is possible to create
3DS-Files out of Autocad 14 or Microstation95 it would also be possible to
use that file format !

What i want to do is convert the files to Moray-Files create the textures at
there, define lights and the camera an then
"CLICK" - render it with that wonderful povray !

I use povray and Moray under Windows95 but.... i can also use other
operating systems since i am at a big network...

(Windows NT, Linux, SUN-Solaris.... also would be possible OS'es for a
file-converting program i could need)

Thank you all for help please answer !

Wolfgang Stagl

3cp### [at] gmxnet
http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a9150766

Post a reply to this message

> Im interested in using povray as an rendering device for autocad or
> microstation created 3d-constructions.....
>
> All i need is import of DXF-Files to Povray or better DGN respectively
> DWG-Files since it is possible to create
> 3DS-Files out of Autocad 14 or Microstation95 it would also be possible to
> use that file format !
>
> What i want to do is convert the files to Moray-Files create the textures at
> there, define lights and the camera an then
> "CLICK" - render it with that wonderful povray !
>
> I use povray and Moray under Windows95 but.... i can also use other
> operating systems since i am at a big network...
>
> (Windows NT, Linux, SUN-Solaris.... also would be possible OS'es for a
> file-converting program i could need)
>
> Thank you all for help please answer !
>
> Wolfgang Stagl
>
> 3cp### [at] gmxnet
> http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a9150766

 I know of no program that will convert .dwg files to pov syntax
but there are several that will handle .dxf and 3ds files both
of which are export options from AutoCad. Two of the best available
are :

CrossRoads 3D at:
http://www.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/

and

3DWin at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thbaier/tools.htm

   They also can convert many other 3D model formats
so they are both quite versitle. 3DWin has more direct
support for Moray so you might want to look at it first.
Also Thomas Baier is a regular here in the groups so if
you have import problems Author accessibility is convienent.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet