POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : pov-mode & emacs 21.3 Server Time
1 Jun 2024 17:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  pov-mode & emacs 21.3 (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: gipsy boy
Subject: pov-mode & emacs 21.3
Date: 8 Aug 2004 17:55:00
Message: <web.4116a0231e595f95e9fdd8670@news.povray.org>
Hello. I have installed pov-mode for emacs. I have correctly adjusted my
..emacs file so it knows to load the lisp file when I try to open a *.pov or
*.inc file.
It does this, but then.. :

(emacs test.pov)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
test.pov has auto save data; consider M-x recover-file

("/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/progmodes/" . "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/")

"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/"

File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument listp
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/")

...it does this.
"File mode specification error".. Never have I specified the directory in
question anywhere (and neither is it specified in pov-mode.el)
My guess was that the directory needs to be writable so emacs can store
temporary images in it when rendering. Solving that didn't solve this
however.. can anybody help me out?
Thank you!

Maarten

Post a reply to this message

> Hello. I have installed pov-mode for emacs. I have correctly adjusted my
> ..emacs file so it knows to load the lisp file when I try to open a *.pov or
> *.inc file.
> It does this, but then.. :
>
> (emacs test.pov)
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> test.pov has auto save data; consider M-x recover-file
>
> ("/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/progmodes/" . "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/")
>
> "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/"
>
> File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument listp
> "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/")
>

> ...it does this.
> "File mode specification error".. Never have I specified the directory in
> question anywhere (and neither is it specified in pov-mode.el)
> My guess was that the directory needs to be writable so emacs can store
> temporary images in it when rendering. Solving that didn't solve this
> however.. can anybody help me out?
> Thank you!
>
> Maarten

Hi, Maarten,
I have the same error. Only some time later than you. Have you found a
bugfix in the meantime?