POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : POVEarth: smooth mesh2 generator Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:07:01 EDT (-0400)
  POVEarth: smooth mesh2 generator (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: POVEarth: smooth mesh2 generator
Date: 1 Apr 2020 21:38:31
Message: <5e854217$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

After several months, I finally found a solution for reducing the
parsing time when calculating normals for smooth triangles. With
Melody's original macro, generating a mesh2 of 3601 by 3601 points from
ASTER terrain data tiles would take about 170 trillion (!!!) iterations
resulting in 200 days of render time, as the macro just scans the whole
array of vertices by a nested loop...

...instead, my solution takes the constant patterns of adjacent vertices
for corner, edge and central points of the mesh2 into account, thus
reducing parsing time to a mere 2 hours (on an AMD FX-62000 with 24 GiB
RAM).

Here it is!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar