POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Planetarium Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:40:22 EDT (-0400)
  Planetarium (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Planetarium
Date: 15 Sep 2018 07:13:38
Message: <5b9ce962$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2018 11:58, Stephen wrote:
>      rotate    <20.000,0.000,0.000>

That might be -19 to -21 not rotate 20*x

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 15 Sep 2018 08:11:44
Message: <5b9cf700$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/15/2018 6:58 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 15/09/2018 11:43, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I have textures, but do not know how to orient them with respect to
>> the axial tilt, orbit and sun. Is anyone familiar with how to do this?
>>

>> Mike
>
> For Z up Left handed scenes.
>

> texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map{
>        png "F:\Graphics\B3D Data\Maps\Planets\Earth\EarthMap2.png"
>        interpolate 2
>        map_type 1
>      }
>      rotate    <20.000,0.000,0.000>
>    }
>
> Then for orientation in an orbit. Rotate the sphere the planet texture
> will follow.

Thanks. But which direction does the axis tilt with respect to the Sun
on a given day?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2018 09:01:34
Message: <5b9d02ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2018 13:11, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 9/15/2018 6:58 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 15/09/2018 11:43, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I have textures, but do not know how to orient them with respect to
>>> the axial tilt, orbit and sun. Is anyone familiar with how to do this?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> For Z up Left handed scenes.
>>

>> texture {
>>    pigment {
>>      image_map{
>>        png "F:\Graphics\B3D Data\Maps\Planets\Earth\EarthMap2.png"
>>        interpolate 2
>>        map_type 1
>>      }
>>      rotate    <20.000,0.000,0.000>
>>    }
>>
>> Then for orientation in an orbit. Rotate the sphere the planet texture
>> will follow.
>>

> Thanks. But which direction does the axis tilt with respect to the Sun
> on a given day?

Earth currently has an axial tilt of about 23.4° and the angle does not
change. With respect to the Sun on a given day, it depends on there it
is in its orbit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt#Earth

So if you start your Planetarium at the summer or winter equinox. The
mechanics will take care of themselves.
I think. :)

--

Regards