POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Trains! Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Trains! (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Jo Jaquinta
Subject: Trains!
Date: 17 Oct 2004 13:58:51
Message: <4172b2db$1@news.povray.org>
Hey Folks,
   I had a bunch of macros for POV-ray for laying out train tracks and
routing trains along them. You could do something as simple as
   m_tracks("RRRRRRRR")
to make your basic round track or
   m_tracks("99RRRR99RRRR")
to do your basic oval. Parenthetical statements let you do the switches
   m_tracks("9a(RR)RRRRb9c(RR)RRRRd")
to do your basic oval with an extra arc.
   There was a macro that would return a vector of the position and
orientation of a particular point a certain distance down the route.
This was used then to position train cars on the track.
   Unfortunately I can't find it right now. Before I start to
re-engineer it, I thought I ask if people knew if anyone had already
done it. I've done a few searches and found a lot of stuff to do with
Microsoft Train-Sim, and a few POV-Ray engines. But not the sort of
system like the above for doing lots of serious layout work.
   Anyone heard of anything? (Anyone have a copy of the old system I did?)
         Cheers,
              Jo