POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : I want to add persistent variables and objects Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:37:55 EDT (-0400)
  I want to add persistent variables and objects (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Excentp
Subject: I want to add persistent variables and objects
Date: 16 Feb 2014 18:05:00
Message: <web.530140ca7608a173c116c8bf0@news.povray.org>
So what I am trying to do is change the POVRay source code in a way that POVRay
can retain certain objects in-between frames when generating an animation.

The reason I want to add this feature into my unofficial version is because I
have a massively detailed mesh that makes up the bulk of my animation, but is
unchanged in all frames of the animation. As such the reparsing of the scene
information per frame has become a bottleneck on the overall performance.

Searching this site, I know that in the past some people have managed to put
together hacks that allow POVRay to have that feature. It would be good to know
what source files I need to modify, and would be even better would be if someone
can provide the altered files that when compiled would make povray have this
feature.

Post a reply to this message

> So what I am trying to do is change the POVRay source code in a way that POVRay
> can retain certain objects in-between frames when generating an animation.
>
> The reason I want to add this feature into my unofficial version is because I
> have a massively detailed mesh that makes up the bulk of my animation, but is
> unchanged in all frames of the animation. As such the reparsing of the scene
> information per frame has become a bottleneck on the overall performance.
>
> Searching this site, I know that in the past some people have managed to put
> together hacks that allow POVRay to have that feature. It would be good to know
> what source files I need to modify, and would be even better would be if someone
> can provide the altered files that when compiled would make povray have this
> feature.

I guess those hacks all pertain to POV-Ray 3.6 or earlier; the internal
architecture has changed a lot from 3.6 to 3.7, and probably haven't
made implementation of such a feature any easier.

I did an attempt at it a few months ago, but postponed any work on it
due to the unexpected complexity of the task.