POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:07:06 EDT (-0400)
  Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7 (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: LanuHum
Subject: Re: Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7
Date: 15 Jun 2013 12:25:00
Message: <web.51bc9463df169dc47a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Add "-D" option to povray if start in blender

I look for a way how to get rid from "-d"
I have to wait for 8 hours to see what it is possible to see the first three
minutes of a render? ? ?
 You laugh, whether that?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 16 Jul 2013 15:43:19
Message: <51e5a257$1@news.povray.org>
Going back to a question that has been left unanswered:

Am 13.06.2013 22:06, schrieb LanuHum:

> Take me, please, programmers select not work toolkit with very good render
> system?

FYI, POV-Ray's roots are a lot, /lot/ older than you probably imagine.
When the first version of POV-Ray was released, Linus Torvalds was just
finishing school and hand't even purchased his first PC yet; fancy
graphics on PCs (or probably any other hardware reasonably available to
hobbyists back then) still meant drawing individual pixels by writing
individual bytes (or sometimes even bits) directly to the graphics
hardware - with different graphics adapters often requiring different
treatment.

It was only ten years later that the SDL emerged, and at that time it
was a pretty good choice. It was also a time when code size was still a
much heavier issue than it is today, and the SDL had the advantage of
being pretty lightweight. After all, to just display a render preview
you don't need a sophisticated GUI toolkit like the GTK+ (which I guess
is what you mean when you mentioned GTK).

One might argue that by now POV-Ray could have moved on to something
more sophisticated for render preview on Linux, but obviously that would
have required someone to invest time into it. With the current dev team
members being mostly Windows-focused, this simply hasn't happened yet.
(It's also probably not worth the effort anymore; due to licensing
issues with an important library the Windows GUI needs major work
anyway, and the dev team will probably take the opportunity to move
towards a cross-platform GUI toolkit.)

> Lamer!

I'm not sure whether you know how rude (and inappropriate) this comment is.

Post a reply to this message