POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : negative index of refraction Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  negative index of refraction (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: wolfman
Subject: negative index of refraction
Date: 23 Aug 2005 06:30:00
Message: <web.430af991dbeb5830984942950@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm currently working with a group of physicists who fabricate so-called
"metamaterials". Don't worry, I don't want to bother you with details, but
the bottom-line is that those materials possess a negative index of
refraction (ior). Since this is very unusual and the consequences are not
obvious at once, we would like to make some examples what would happen if
you sticked e.g. your feet not into water but into this material (you could
see your feet in front of you...).

My question now is: Is it possible to change POV-ray's source code in order
to implement negative ior's? Or is it too difficult?

Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the code, it would take ages for me
to find it...

Thx in advance...

Post a reply to this message

I found this in the beginner's newsgroup (hadn't looked there before):
"I thought it allowed IOR to be less than 1.0, but if not, you can
certainly invert your shape and fill the rest of the universe with a
higher IOR value. Only the difference in the IOR values at the interface
are significant for determining the angle of refraction."

Physically, this is not the same. A positive ior is positive and doesn't
exhibit very strange features even if it is <1.0.

"wolfman" <wol### [at] physikuni-karlsruhede> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working with a group of physicists who fabricate so-called
> "metamaterials". Don't worry, I don't want to bother you with details, but
> the bottom-line is that those materials possess a negative index of
> refraction (ior). Since this is very unusual and the consequences are not
> obvious at once, we would like to make some examples what would happen if
> you sticked e.g. your feet not into water but into this material (you could
> see your feet in front of you...).
>
> My question now is: Is it possible to change POV-ray's source code in order
> to implement negative ior's? Or is it too difficult?
>
> Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the code, it would take ages for me
> to find it...
>
> Thx in advance...

Post a reply to this message