POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64bit windows compile? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:05:34 EDT (-0400)
  64bit windows compile? (Message 21 to 30 of 38)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: 64bit windows compile?
Date: 19 Apr 2004 08:50:19
Message: <4083cb0b@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Now a processor that does 3d arithmetic directly would be very nice...

  Don't 3D accelerator cards do tons of that already?

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Apr 2004 13:41:53
Message: <40840f61@news.povray.org>
In article <4083cb0b@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>> Now a processor that does 3d arithmetic directly would be very nice...
>
>   Don't 3D accelerator cards do tons of that already?

But what use is single-precision floating-point math for ray-tracing ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Rich
Date: 19 Apr 2004 16:26:10
Message: <Xns94D092D96516spammindspringcom@203.29.75.35>
ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in news:qp27805463p54p28qbpsanb9v7jcjbmi6s@
4ax.com:

> http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/msvc.html

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rich

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 19 Apr 2004 18:56:59
Message: <40845935.CC32C920@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Now a processor that does 3d arithmetic directly would be very
> > nice...
>
>   Don't 3D accelerator cards do tons of that already?

Their job is to puke triangles onto the screen.  I want something a
ray-tracer can use.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Their job is to puke triangles onto the screen.  I want something a
> ray-tracer can use.

  They do much more than that. They have even their own mini-assembler
you can use to write shaders.

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Their job is to puke triangles onto the screen.  I want something a
> > ray-tracer can use.
>
>   They do much more than that. They have even their own mini-assembler
> you can use to write shaders.

While it's not really relevent to this conversation the following may be of
interest:

  http://film.nvidia.com/page/gelato.html

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message