POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Binary Meshes? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Binary Meshes? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Binary Meshes?
Date: 15 Jun 2015 09:07:19
Message: <557ece07$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Still aiming at POVEarth/POVghanistan (and also high-quality renderings
of other Solar System bodies) - but currently, there is a bottleneck
when it comes to generating "spherical" (i. e. following Earth's
curvature) mesh2s from 16-bit (or whatever format) heightfields!

The Japanese ASTER mission elevation tiles have a resolution of 3601 by
3601 measuring points (i. e. pixels in a heightfield generated from
these data) - but even with 16 GiB of RAM, I had to decrease the
resolution to 2600 by 2600, otherwise POV-Ray would crash.

Of course this is because POV-Ray generates full ASCII code rather than
(like with heightfields) binary data to internally represent the mesh2
object.

Have there ever been any attempts to write a patch to make binary meshes
feasible with POV-Ray?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message