POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Animation performance Server Time
27 Apr 2024 13:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Animation performance (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Brent Fraser
Subject: Re: Animation performance
Date: 28 Nov 2008 13:15:25
Message: <4930353d$1@news.povray.org>
Ben,

  I just finished implementing (hacking?) image file caching based only on the file
pathname, although I think your idea of using dates too is a good idea.  In my case
the height_fields and image_maps do not change during the rendering (if they did it
would be a data management failure!).

  On my single computer test it improved performance by about 40% (3 minutes per frame
instead of 5 minutes).  I expect if I reran the entire animation render (with 6
computers, 15 SDL/pov files, accessing by 400 mb of height_fields and image_maps on by
networked, slow RAID server), it would shave 40% to 80% off the render time.

Thanks!
Brent Fraser