POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: combining partial images Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:00:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: combining partial images (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: combining partial images
Date: 15 Jul 2008 14:02:24
Message: <487ce630@news.povray.org>
stevenvh wrote:
> I made a set of partial images using Start_Column, End_Column, Start_Row
> and End_Row.
> Now I want to combine them, but Photoshop can't read the images. Are the
> files not standard bitmap files (PNG in my case)?
> Any tools around to do this?

I had to do some *ugly* stuff (modifying POV code) to get this right for my
purposes. I wanted: a correct PNG image output when rendering tiles, saving
to disk at specific "checkpoints" (by default every minute) instead of
letting POV save every few rows, and ability to resume rendering.

I disabled POV-Ray's built-in file output (-f), and in the hook that
notifies when a pixel is rendered, store the pixel in an in-memory buffer.
Every minute, I save that to disk (uncompressed), along with a header with
width, height, and last row rendered. When the render is restarted, if the
file exists, I load it, and use Start_Row(!) to make it resume on the last
row rendered. When the render finishes, I save it to a proper PNG.

I'm *sure* POV-Ray 3.7 new intermediate file format would help me avoid that
big mess...

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> stevenvh wrote:
> > I made a set of partial images using Start_Column, End_Column, Start_Row
> > and End_Row.
> > Now I want to combine them, but Photoshop can't read the images. Are the
> > files not standard bitmap files (PNG in my case)?
> > Any tools around to do this?
>
> I had to do some *ugly* stuff (modifying POV code) to get this right for my
> purposes. I wanted: a correct PNG image output when rendering tiles, saving
> to disk at specific "checkpoints" (by default every minute) instead of
> letting POV save every few rows, and ability to resume rendering.
>
> I disabled POV-Ray's built-in file output (-f), and in the hook that
> notifies when a pixel is rendered, store the pixel in an in-memory buffer.
> Every minute, I save that to disk (uncompressed), along with a header with
> width, height, and last row rendered. When the render is restarted, if the
> file exists, I load it, and use Start_Row(!) to make it resume on the last
> row rendered. When the render finishes, I save it to a proper PNG.
>
> I'm *sure* POV-Ray 3.7 new intermediate file format would help me avoid that
> big mess...

Hi, I try this and I do some edit, It works for me :-)
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.tutorials/thread/%3Cweb.52e993ec552e7103d19b0ec40%40news.povray.org%3E/