POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : UNIX POVRay does not exit with failure on error Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:05:50 EDT (-0400)
  UNIX POVRay does not exit with failure on error (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: UNIX POVRay does not exit with failure on error
Date: 11 Aug 2004 18:14:28
Message: <411a9a44@news.povray.org>
In article <411a968f@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser
<wwi### [at] nospamgmxde>  wrote:

> After thinking about it: What about completely sending all that
> longjmp stuff to hell (grin...) and simply use:

Not a good idea.  While it may work, the problem is the side effect of an
exception - it calls all the appropriate destructors.  However, as POV-Ray
cleans up itself, this is not exactly desired...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

>> After thinking about it: What about completely sending all that
>> longjmp stuff to hell (grin...) and simply use:
>
> Not a good idea.  While it may work, the problem is the side effect of an
> exception - it calls all the appropriate destructors.  However, as POV-Ray
> cleans up itself, this is not exactly desired...

Hmm... I don't completely understand that.
(1) the objects destroyed by the exception are all allocated on the stack.
   How could that harm?
(2) There are quite a lot of "throw (int)" in the code and I don't see the
   difference (without having had a look at the scattered catch constructs).

Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Aug 2004 14:38:17
Message: <411bb919@news.povray.org>
In article <411a9cf3@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser
<wwi### [at] nospamgmxde>  wrote:

>> Not a good idea.  While it may work, the problem is the side effect of an
>> exception - it calls all the appropriate destructors.  However, as POV-Ray
>> cleans up itself, this is not exactly desired...
>>
> Hmm... I don't completely understand that.
> (1) the objects destroyed by the exception are all allocated on the stack.
>    How could that harm?

Because those objects might be used elsewhere in unexpected ways that might
not even be completely legal.  Note that I do not say this is the case, just
that it is a can of worms that should be left closed.

> (2) There are quite a lot of "throw (int)" in the code and I don't see the
>    difference (without having had a look at the scattered catch constructs).

You are confusing the frontend code with the core code.  I would recommend
to look at one of the two threaded implementations of frontend and core - in
the Windows or Mac OS sources.  The separation of work is better to
understand there (I would recommend the Mac implementation because it was
entirely written for this while the Windows version is modified 3.5 code).