POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Render to DV Tape?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Render to DV Tape?? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Richard Brooks
Subject: Render to DV Tape??
Date: 11 Jan 2000 21:01:46
Message: <387be08a@news.povray.org>
I'm using POV animation features MUCH more than in the past and want to
be able to render to directly to DV tape.

In RENDER OPTIONS, provide RENDER TO DV option. Allowing user to select DV
device (ieee 1394 connection), select format (NTSC, PAL, etc), and number of
tape
frames per renedered image).

Image (or animation) would be rendered normally with resulting window output
DV device upon completion.

There are several programs out for 3D Studio Max that do this (although they
use LANC
or RS-232 controlled frame accurate VCRs). The programming should not be too
difficult
if the Windows 2000 DirectShow APIs are used.

This would yield crisp, clean, uncompressed animations without the need for
CMPEG,
Priemere, etc.

Any ideas? Foreseeable problems? Comments?

PS: Source code help would be a great boost! Iv'e been out of C programming
for a while!!

Post a reply to this message

> I'm using POV animation features MUCH more than in the past and want to
> be able to render to directly to DV tape.
>
> In RENDER OPTIONS, provide RENDER TO DV option. Allowing user to select DV
> device (ieee 1394 connection), select format (NTSC, PAL, etc), and number of
> tape
> frames per renedered image).
>
> Image (or animation) would be rendered normally with resulting window output
> DV device upon completion.
>
> There are several programs out for 3D Studio Max that do this (although they
> use LANC
> or RS-232 controlled frame accurate VCRs). The programming should not be too
> difficult
> if the Windows 2000 DirectShow APIs are used.
>
> This would yield crisp, clean, uncompressed animations without the need for
> CMPEG,
> Priemere, etc.
>
> Any ideas? Foreseeable problems? Comments?
>
> PS: Source code help would be a great boost! Iv'e been out of C programming
> for a while!!

Maybe an external program. A post-render step thing, or such.

Send me a DV output device and I'll help.  :-)

(Seriously, I've programmed this in the past with different pro hardware, but
that was at the time that 3DS was still R3, and not Max)

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe an external program. A post-render step thing, or such.
>
> Send me a DV output device and I'll help.  :-)
>
> (Seriously, I've programmed this in the past with different pro hardware, but
> that was at the time that 3DS was still R3, and not Max)

You can do all that with QuickTime 4.0 which supports DV devices and
FireWire if the underlying OS does (Mac OS 8.x and Win 2000).

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> There are several programs out for 3D Studio Max that do this (although they
> use LANC
> or RS-232 controlled frame accurate VCRs). The programming should not be too
> difficult
> if the Windows 2000 DirectShow APIs are used.

one word here:
CROSSPLATFORM!!!!!!!

--
//Spider    --  [ spider@bahnhof.se ]-[ http://darkmere.wanfear.com/ ]
And the devil in black dress watches over