POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Matte Metallic Surfaces vs. Reflective Metallic Surfaces Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  Matte Metallic Surfaces vs. Reflective Metallic Surfaces (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: djsilon
Subject: Matte Metallic Surfaces vs. Reflective Metallic Surfaces
Date: 5 Feb 2014 15:45:01
Message: <web.52f2a26f774245f9acf128d0@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know if POV is capable of generating matte metallic surfaces?  Matte
metallic surfaces do not produce the typical mirrored reflections that we are
accustomed to seeing in POV.  Instead, they cast reflections only in the form of
dull, black shadows.  The xmas ornaments in the attached image are matte
metallic because they do not produce true reflections, only shadows.

djsilon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'matte ornaments.jpg' (6 KB)

Preview of image 'matte ornaments.jpg'
matte ornaments.jpg

> Does anyone know if POV is capable of generating matte metallic surfaces?  Matte
> metallic surfaces do not produce the typical mirrored reflections that we are
> accustomed to seeing in POV.  Instead, they cast reflections only in the form of
> dull, black shadows.  The xmas ornaments in the attached image are matte
> metallic because they do not produce true reflections, only shadows.
>
> djsilon

You can use plain POV-Ray:
Use micronormals, possibly averaging a few randomly displaced instances.
You need to use aa to get good results.
Average 100 to 255 large normals randomly displaced.

OR

You can use the experimental Uberpov that support blured reflection
where you can define a roughness that is to affect the reflection.
In your case, you could use something like:
reflection{0.5 metallic roughness 1}

Post a reply to this message

> > Does anyone know if POV is capable of generating matte metallic surfaces?  Matte
> > metallic surfaces do not produce the typical mirrored reflections that we are
> > accustomed to seeing in POV.  Instead, they cast reflections only in the form of
> > dull, black shadows.  The xmas ornaments in the attached image are matte
> > metallic because they do not produce true reflections, only shadows.
> >
> > djsilon
> >

> You can use plain POV-Ray:
> Use micronormals, possibly averaging a few randomly displaced instances.
> You need to use aa to get good results.
> Average 100 to 255 large normals randomly displaced.
>
> OR
>
> You can use the experimental Uberpov that support blured reflection
> where you can define a roughness that is to affect the reflection.
> In your case, you could use something like:
> reflection{0.5 metallic roughness 1}

Thanks for the info, Alain.   I will give it a try and let you know how it works
out.

djsilon