POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : is real scattering too hard?? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  is real scattering too hard?? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: ricky312
Subject: is real scattering too hard??
Date: 25 Jan 2011 17:40:01
Message: <web.4d3f4ffb2ee30ec2f2091e540@news.povray.org>
im sorry if i sound frustrated, but i just found a major flaw in scattering
media. I used to find povray scattering to be very good but lately it seems to
me that it is much to be desired. when using multiple media (such as in a
sky)povray takes the anistropy(eccentricity) of the last media and forgets the
rest of the media's annistropy before it. Whats worse is that the anistropic
halo amount isn't dependent on the density of the media. so the density of the
media could be zero and there will still be an anistropic halo around the light
source! At first i thought this was just a bug in the new version but when i try
it in the 3.6 version it is still present.

 Im sorry but untill a more realistic model is implemented i probably
won't be using povray for my landscapes.

Post a reply to this message

> im sorry if i sound frustrated, but i just found a major flaw in scattering
> media. I used to find povray scattering to be very good but lately it seems to
> me that it is much to be desired. when using multiple media (such as in a
> sky)povray takes the anistropy(eccentricity) of the last media and forgets the
> rest of the media's annistropy before it. Whats worse is that the anistropic
> halo amount isn't dependent on the density of the media. so the density of the
> media could be zero and there will still be an anistropic halo around the light
> source! At first i thought this was just a bug in the new version but when i try
> it in the 3.6 version it is still present.

That doesn't sound overly frustrated to me; from what you describe, this
indeed seems to me more a case for the bugtracker
(http://bugs.povray.org) rather than for a newsgroup intended for
discussion about a long-term roadmap for POV-Ray.

>   Im sorry but untill a more realistic model is implemented i probably
> won't be using povray for my landscapes.

Now /that/ sounds frustrated.