POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:55:41 EDT (-0400)
  New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. (Message 1 to 10 of 73)
From: gregjohn
Subject: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
Date: 25 May 2009 07:40:00
Message: <web.4a1a82a41c1f80d434d207310@news.povray.org>
It took me 13 years of povving to understand the camera. That is, to come up
with the code for a box which exactly fills the screen, regardless of camera
angle/ distance and image aspect ratio.

I believe that the documentation provided with povray tells no lies, but it
doesn't tell enough of the truth. If you already fully understand how the
camera works, what is written there makes sense. But there are notable
omissions from the documentation:

i) no mention of how +W and +H affect the camera.
ii) no mention of the hierarchy of all these redundant little variables.

Q: If one were to redesign the camera object from scratch, could you make it
more intuitive? Could the camera either require either  more heavily lifting or
less?
What if it automatically gave you circular-cross-section spheres regardless of
the pixel ratio?  How many people *want* elliptical-looking spheres when they
change the pixel ratio?

Post a reply to this message