POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ... Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ... (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: clipka
Subject: Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ...
Date: 11 Apr 2009 06:40:00
Message: <web.49e0730bfb1ed94319d16df90@news.povray.org>
I've done some pondering over Lua, wondering how it would be used to describe a
POV scene.

I think it doesn't work out. Neither does JavaScript, or many other languages
for that matter. Here's why:

POV-Ray is basically all about creating geometric objects in 3D space with
certain properties. The SDL should faciliate this.

Let's first look at the average mainstream language; Leaving aside syntax
details and focusing only on "grammar" instead, here's how this would be coded
in the average OO-enabled language:

- Create a new sphere named "fooSphere" at <x,y,z> with radius r.
- Create a new texture named "fooTexture".
- Create a new pigment named "fooPigment" with color <r,g,b>.
- Assign to "fooTexture" the pigment "fooPiment".
- Assign to "fooSphere" the texture "fooSphere".
- Translate "fooSphere" by <x,y,z>.
- Add to the scene the object "fooSphere".

Yuck. We all know this sucks.

So what *exactly* do we want? I think what we need is a grammar as close as
possible to this:

- With the scene...
-   Add to it a new sphere at <x,y,z> with radius r, and with that...
-     Assign to it a new texture, and with that...
-       Assign to it a new pigment with color <r,b,b>.
-   Translate it by <x,y,z>

Let's have a look at how this could be approximated with Lua:

We could pre-define special functions "scene", "sphere", "texture", "pigment"
and "translate", each taking the basic parameters, plus a variable list of
"modifiers", which in turn would be e.g. objects, textures, pigments or
transformations. This would giving us (for now ignoring the question of how
exactly to build vectors):

  scene (
    sphere ( <x,y,z>, r,
      texture ( pigment ( color <r,g,b> ) ),
      translate ( <x,y,z> )
    )
  );

Nice, isn't it?

Well, no. To see why, let's look at this one:

- With the scene...
-   Add to it a new blob, and with that...
-     Assign to it a new threshold t.
-     Add to it a new blob-sphere at <x,y,z> with radius r and strength s.

How would this translate in our Lua approach?

  scene (
    blob (
      threshold(t),
      blob.sphere ( <x,y,z>, r, s )
    )
  );

Obviously we forgot that "sphere" and "sphere" may mean two different things,
depending on context. (Granted, they're not very far apart; but it outlines the
underlying general problem.)

So what we did above was to exploit Lua syntax to come up with a shortcut for "a
new FOO, and with that... do BAR. do FUZZ.", when in fact what we *precisely*
want to express is "a new FOO, and with that... do FOO-BAR, do FOO-FUZZ".

I do not know any single scripting language providing syntactical sugar to
express exactly that in a concise manner - or at least providing a mechanism
that can be exploited to that end.

If anyone knows a comparatively well-established language providing exactly
that, please speak up. But I guess we really need to roll our own. (Though I
guess the core of Lua could still serve as a good basis, i.e. the virtual
machine and probably a good deal of the parser.)

Post a reply to this message

> I do not know any single scripting language providing syntactical sugar to
> express exactly that in a concise manner - or at least providing a mechanism
> that can be exploited to that end.

Anything that uses namespaces or class methods (or class qualifiers) would do
this. You might require that scripts use qualifiers though, unless you can make
the parser element automatically prioritise class scopes based on the innermost
container.

Post a reply to this message

> > I do not know any single scripting language providing syntactical sugar to
> > express exactly that in a concise manner - or at least providing a mechanism
> > that can be exploited to that end.
>
> Anything that uses namespaces or class methods (or class qualifiers) would do
> this. You might require that scripts use qualifiers though, unless you can make
> the parser element automatically prioritise class scopes based on the innermost
> container.

.... which is exactly my point: I think a next generation POV SDL should do this.
But I've never seen it in any language before.

Not in a small, concise language, that is. Note that POV's current SDL has it -
but at the cost of being context-sensitive about everything, without a clear
formal concept behind it: The language just happened to have grown that way.

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
> depending on context. (Granted, they're not very far apart; but it outlines the
> underlying general problem.)
>
> So what we did above was to exploit Lua syntax to come up with a shortcut for "a
> new FOO, and with that... do BAR. do FUZZ.", when in fact what we *precisely*
> want to express is "a new FOO, and with that... do FOO-BAR, do FOO-FUZZ".
>
> I do not know any single scripting language providing syntactical sugar to
> express exactly that in a concise manner - or at least providing a mechanism
> that can be exploited to that end.
>
> If anyone knows a comparatively well-established language providing exactly
> that, please speak up. But I guess we really need to roll our own. (Though I
> guess the core of Lua could still serve as a good basis, i.e. the virtual
> machine and probably a good deal of the parser.)

I didn't quite understand your post. But, how about hash arrays?

scene =
{
	objects =
	{
		My_Sphere =
		{
			type = "sphere",
			location = <x,y,z>,
			radius = r,
			texture =
			{
				pigment =
				{
					color = <r,g,b>
				}
			},
			transformation =
			{
				translate = <x,y,z>
			}
		}
	}
};

This syntax is more akin to what you find in *markup languages*, but you
can still easily modify the scene. Alternately, we could differentiate
the content and behavior by using separate sections and languages for
each (i.e. HTML and JavaScript in web pages).

However, I prefer using one language, since there's nothing a markup
language like XML can do that a scripting language can't also do by
using literal (i.e. terse or shorthand) syntax.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message