POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request: collapsible code blocks Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:04:44 EDT (-0400)
  Request: collapsible code blocks (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: SharkD
Subject: Request: collapsible code blocks
Date: 10 Jul 2008 03:50:01
Message: <web.4875bee77b0b3828b319b3150@news.povray.org>
I was considering the possibility of adding a collapsible code block feature to
POV, but came to the conclusion that the SDL is too irregular or "loose" for
this to work. Has this been considered before? What was the conclusion that was
come to?

Here's an example of what I mean, from Notepad++:

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=npplusuy1.jpg

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I was considering the possibility of adding a collapsible code block feature to
> POV, but came to the conclusion that the SDL is too irregular or "loose" for
> this to work. Has this been considered before? What was the conclusion that was
> come to?
>
> Here's an example of what I mean, from Notepad++:
>
> http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=npplusuy1.jpg
>
> -Mike

Maybe the ability to *manually* set collapse points, similar to setting
bookmarks, would be a suitable arrangement.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> > I was considering the possibility of adding a collapsible code block feature to
> > POV, but came to the conclusion that the SDL is too irregular or "loose" for
> > this to work. Has this been considered before? What was the conclusion that was
> > come to?
> >
> > Here's an example of what I mean, from Notepad++:
> >
> > http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=npplusuy1.jpg
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Maybe the ability to *manually* set collapse points, similar to setting
> bookmarks, would be a suitable arrangement.
>
> -Mike

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by loose or irregular?  Most blocks of SDL
are surrounded by curly braces, and in theory, one could have a collapse
threshold, where any block surrounded by curly braces that has more lines than
the threshold could be collapsible (allowing nested collapsing, etc).  The user
selecting many lines and selecting a hide or collapse menu option could also
work.  This might be a more platform specific thing, though.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

"Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what do you mean by loose or irregular?  Most blocks of SDL
> are surrounded by curly braces, and in theory, one could have a collapse
> threshold, where any block surrounded by curly braces that has more lines than
> the threshold could be collapsible (allowing nested collapsing, etc).  The user
> selecting many lines and selecting a hide or collapse menu option could also
> work.  This might be a more platform specific thing, though.
>

> -Reactor

In POV SDL you can overlap or intersect blocks. For instance something like the
following code would be valid:

pigment
{
  #if (true)