POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:36:48 EDT (-0400)
  Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Woody
Subject: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based)
Date: 15 Feb 2008 07:35:00
Message: <web.47b586279e245a8f94e61a50@news.povray.org>
While working with MS VC++ trying to create programs to create *.df3 I've found
it very difficult. I can only imagine how difficult it is, with the limited
number of converters, for people who have little or no C++ experience (such as
myself, never heard of big endian or little endian till working with *.df3
files in C++).

Would it be possible to include a *.df4 format where instead of dimension and
voxel data being in byte code, it was in some type of standard *.txt format?
Possibly ASCII? I realize it increase runtime (not sure how much, but I suppose
"Dramatically increase runtime" might be the right answer"). Even thought a
*.df4 option is included the *.df3 option can also be included for people where
runtime does matter.

Any possibility of this?

Post a reply to this message

> Would it be possible to include a *.df4 format where instead of dimension and
> voxel data being in byte code, it was in some type of standard *.txt format?
> Possibly ASCII? I realize it increase runtime (not sure how much, but I suppose
> "Dramatically increase runtime" might be the right answer"). Even thought a
> *.df4 option is included the *.df3 option can also be included for people where
> runtime does matter.

  Nobody would write those files by hand anyways, so what's the point in
having them in readable ascii format?

  Writing the current DF3 file from a program (in basically any language)
is quite trivial. If you don't know how, just ask.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message