POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support Server Time
3 May 2024 21:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support
Date: 4 Feb 2008 11:51:26
Message: <Xns9A3AB5A442D24seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:47a4344b@news.povray.org Warp wrote:

>   Displacement mapping is used in scanline renderers because it's
> feasible there. They use triangle meshes (or easily tesselable
> surfaces such as NURBS) which can be easily subdivided and displaced
> even on the fly.

Warp,

you've given this awnser so often on this specific question, but what I
do not understand why is it so important to have this feature for all
primitives? I.M.O it is a feature not specific to scanline renderers
but to mesh (meshable (NURBS)) objects. I.M.O it should be an addition
to an extended mesh format that for example also has several surface
subdivision options, also accepts (non-flat) polygons with more than
three edges etc. A meshformat plus features that supports what the
majority of the mesh modellers support. (this regardless of how it is
implemented in POV-Ray, in the source or by SDL)

The main reason for my (changed) view on this is that while rendering
on multiple nodes you don't want to move around big detaild mesh's but
unrefined/un-subdivided mesh's or NURBS. The old argument, the modeler
should take care doesn't hold stake anymore.

ingo