POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:44:29 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Kyle
Subject: Feature Re-requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support
Date: 1 Feb 2008 23:23:36
Message: <8rr7q3h9cj7v2p91bodbk0he8958jbma97@4ax.com>
Please refer to the following thread...

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cv4pqj217fg814vqilvmdgf2v3ri3i8qj77%404ax.com%3E/

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Feb 2008 04:13:48
Message: <47a4344b@news.povray.org>
Kyle <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote:
> Please refer to the following thread...

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cv4pqj217fg814vqilvmdgf2v3ri3i8qj77%404ax.com%3E/

  I repeat my answer here:

  You are free to propose a solution to that. Preferably in C++.

  Displacement mapping is used in scanline renderers because it's
feasible there. They use triangle meshes (or easily tesselable surfaces
such as NURBS) which can be easily subdivided and displaced even on
the fly.

  You want it to be done with *any* object in POV-Ray. Well, feel
free to suggest how it could be done.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message