POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggest v4.0 inbuilt complex functions. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Suggest v4.0 inbuilt complex functions. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0) (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Suggest v4.0 inbuilt complex functions. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0)
Date: 29 Apr 2023 04:20:13
Message: <644cd33d$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/29/23 02:28, kurtz le pirate wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> kurtz le pirate<kur### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>>> last thing : where can I find "cfunctions.inc" ?
>> installs as part of 'povr' branch (published in p.b.programming)
>>

>> regards, jr.
>>
> Find. Thank jr
>
> But as I suspected, the functions are just calls to internal functions.
> so I will continue my work

Glad you found your path forward (jr, thanks for providing the pointer
to the include file).

Thanks for posting your complex function include!

I'd looked at Tor Olav's and Ingo's include file efforts in this
direction as I coded up the C++11 complex function wrappers, but I
didn't have yours in hand. I've stored a copy as a reference in my work
directory so I have it should I come back for more play.

Bill P.

--- Thinking aloud

One of the povr ideas / v4.0 suggestions I'm carrying around in my head
is to drop the inbuilt fractal stuff - the julia shape and perhaps the
julia, mandel and magnet patterns - as inbuilt code.

The julia shape is interesting, but aside from the pulled taffy shape
most everyone seems to try, I don't see a common use for a julia shape
in a ray tracer. I've taken shots at rendering some of the other
julia-shape (sub-shapes) but I've not had luck finding anything I think
useful to the mainstream. Plus, I've found the julia shape to be quite
slow and glitchy.

The fractal patterns are more useful I think, but wish we'd not ended up
with so many explicit versions (internally) for differing powers. I've
not done any performance comparisons to the generic forms though...

I also don't know what I'm really doing in this area of POV-Ray - or
with fractals in fact! Been holding off pulling it all from povr. This
partly due finding recursive algorithm's - with which I'd had some luck
back in the 2000s - to be pretty unstable today when I went to try some
things recently...

I have in my head that I'd read somewhere there are fractal forms which
are continuous? If so, these 'kinds' might make for more useful shapes /
isosurfaces / patterns. But, yep! I'm just yapping. I don't know what
I'm doing with respect to fractals...

Bill P.