POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Identifier declaration consistent with other languages Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:40:03 EDT (-0400)
  Identifier declaration consistent with other languages (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Chambers
Subject: Identifier declaration consistent with other languages
Date: 20 Jul 2008 13:56:59
Message: <48837c6b$1@news.povray.org>
Instead of

#declare myobj = object {

Why not use

object myobj {

It's more consistent with pretty much every other programming language
since BASIC dropped the "LET" keyword.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 20 Jul 2008 17:59:46
Message: <4883b551@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Instead of

> #declare myobj = object {

> Why not use

> object myobj {

  The intention is to redesign the SDL for pov4 anyways. What we need is
a good overall design rather than just individual bits.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> > Instead of
>
> > #declare myobj = object {
>
> > Why not use
>
> > object myobj {
>
>   The intention is to redesign the SDL for pov4 anyways. What we need is
> a good overall design rather than just individual bits.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I'd like to see more powerful scripting support as well.  I use Python
frequently to generate POV-ray code.

An a syntax change:

Instead of

#declare count = 10
#declare pos = 0
#declare MyObject = union {
  #while(pos < count)
  circle {
    <0, 0, 5>, 0.5
    rotate <0, pos * 360 / count, 0>
    texture {
      pigment {
        #if(pos % 2 == 0)
          color White
        #else
          color Black
        #end
      }
    }
  }
  #declare pos = pos + 1
  #end
}

Why not simply have:

count = 10
MyObject = union {
  for(pos = 0, pos < count, pos = pos + 1) {
    circle {
      <0, 0, 5>, 0.5
      rotate <0, pos * 360 / count, 0>
      texture {