POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ray tracing algorithm Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:34:55 EDT (-0400)
  Ray tracing algorithm (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: scott
Subject: Ray tracing algorithm
Date: 20 Feb 2008 03:22:30
Message: <47bbe346@news.povray.org>
This paper looks interesting from Intel, don't know if POV uses something
like this already, but the speed-up factor compared to OpenRT looks very
impressive (3x - 10x).  They claim that their algorithm results in only 1/3
of the traversal steps being required during the trace, by grouping rays
with similar paths in the scene together (I haven't studied the exact method
yet).

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/computing/applications/download/mlrta.pdf

BTW I stumbled across this while looking at real time raytracing for the
Cell processor.

Post a reply to this message

> This paper looks interesting from Intel, don't know if POV uses something
> like this already, but the speed-up factor compared to OpenRT looks very
> impressive (3x - 10x).  They claim that their algorithm results in only 1/3
> of the traversal steps being required during the trace, by grouping rays
> with similar paths in the scene together (I haven't studied the exact method
> yet).
>
> ftp://download.intel.com/technology/computing/applications/download/mlrta.pdf
>
> BTW I stumbled across this while looking at real time raytracing for the
> Cell processor.

I'm kind of curious about OpenRT. Could somebody sum up its current status? How
fast is it, and what kind of features are missing?

-Mike