POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : How to attract developers ? Server Time
9 May 2024 03:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  How to attract developers ? (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: How to attract developers ?
Date: 16 Nov 2007 17:57:41
Message: <473e2065@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> it seems the 3.7 codebase is now largely full C++ with proper use of
> classes and namespaces.

  Not "full" (as it still has quite a lot of C-style code, including
tons of preprocessor macros etc), but closer.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 16 Nov 2007 18:22:54
Message: <473e264e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> it seems the 3.7 codebase is now largely full C++ with proper use of
>> classes and namespaces.
>
>   Not "full" (as it still has quite a lot of C-style code, including
> tons of preprocessor macros etc), but closer.

As long as there are no goto's :D

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 16 Nov 2007 19:01:51
Message: <473e2f6f@news.povray.org>
> As long as there are no goto's :D

  There seems to be 16 of those.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom York
Date: 17 Nov 2007 09:00:02
Message: <web.473ef312bbcd77aa7d55e4a40@news.povray.org>

> >> Maybe. You can't work on what you can't see :)
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> > Well, the source code is already available, so there's nothing stopping them
> > from seeing it except for snobbishness on their part (for refusing to touch
> > free software that isn't GPL).
>
> Actually, there is a reason that's stopping them. 3.6.1 source code is
> available. 3.7 changed lots of structure. It may be a waste of time to
> edit 3.6.1 code if you'll have to re-adapt to 3.7, which may not be easy.

Yes, that's what I was getting at, but too indirectly. I've added things to
3.6.1 (well, MegaPOV) but there's no point going on with that when 3.7 will
change things. Plus it's a bit depressing now to add a feature and see only one
core out of the four doing the rendering, vs. 3.7 (the beta).

Tom