POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature : Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:46:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature
From: clipka
Date: 5 Aug 2009 17:44:56
Message: <4a79fd58$1@news.povray.org>
PeYo56 -- MmTr1x3 schrieb:
> For a svg plugin, it not will just work for HF but for texturing or other stuff,
> because the advantage of texturing with povray is for the infinite resolution,
> not like basic image as the games we can play, the advantage of image is to
> create as we want.
>
> I think that we can create a plugin for add svg when we can use bmp or png, for
> texturing, HF, bumpmap, texturemap (it will increase the experience)

Note that SVG is fundamentally different from bitmap images, which may
make it significantly more difficult to handle in POV-Ray, and
eventually have the whole "infinite resolution" advantage break down.

POV-Ray needs to look up texture values on a point-by-point basis; in
bitmap textures, this is straightforward: Evaluate the 4 closest pixels,
and interpolate between them (for bilinear interpolation; or a few more
points for bicubic interpolation).

For function textures, it is straightforward as well: Just evaluate the
function for the given coordinates; the same principle applies to
pattern textures.

For SVG, you have two major options: (a) basically evaluate the whole
SVG over and over again for *every* point to be looked up; the required
algorithmical and computational effort might be close to that of a
moderately simple raytracing engine; or (b) evaluate the SVG once,
somehow caching the data in a lookup structure of inherently limited
resolution; this of course would forfeit the main benefit of SVG.