POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a book... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  I need a book... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: scott
Subject: Re: I need a book...
Date: 23 Feb 2010 05:37:22
Message: <4b83afe2$1@news.povray.org>
>> http://www.asio4all.com/
>>
>> Works a treat.
>
> Mmm, nice. (Not quite sure how adding more processing can make it do
> *faster*, but anyway...)

My understanding is that it bypasses all the standard Windows APIs, buffers,
sound card drivers and sample rate converter gumpf and just accesses the
ADC/DAC directly (somehow).  I must admit I didn't look much into it, just
installed it and it worked very well.

Post a reply to this message

>> Mmm, nice. (Not quite sure how adding more processing can make it do
>> *faster*, but anyway...)
>
> My understanding is that it bypasses all the standard Windows APIs,
> buffers, sound card drivers and sample rate converter gumpf and just
> accesses the ADC/DAC directly (somehow).

You need the sound card drivers or you won't know *how* to access the
ADC. But maybe it buffers the data differently or something, IDK.

> I must admit I didn't look
> much into it, just installed it and it worked very well.

Well, that's the main thing, eh? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> You need the sound card drivers or you won't know *how* to access the ADC.
> But maybe it buffers the data differently or something, IDK.

According to Wikipedia the main benefit is from bypassing the Windows mixer
software, which I assume introduces significant latency.  Apparently this
was improved for Vista, but I still noticed huge latency on my Vista machine
before I used ASIO.

Post a reply to this message

>> You need the sound card drivers or you won't know *how* to access the
>> ADC. But maybe it buffers the data differently or something, IDK.
>
> According to Wikipedia the main benefit is from bypassing the Windows
> mixer software, which I assume introduces significant latency.
> Apparently this was improved for Vista, but I still noticed huge latency
> on my Vista machine before I used ASIO.

Seems plausible.

I've also seem a lot of "sound drivers" which also install shedloads of
user-mode GUI fanciness for applying effect filters and EQ adjustments
and so on...