POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How lightsabers work Server Time
8 Oct 2024 13:46:08 EDT (-0400)
  How lightsabers work (Message 31 to 40 of 55)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Seduced by the pink side of the force
Date: 25 Jan 2010 11:51:16
Message: <4b5dcc04$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2006/7/134708_57723549-5a5e-45a3-b33f-65cdfba82752_prod.jpg

>>   Too bad it's not genuine. Here's the original:
>>
>> http://samanathon.com/images/white-vader.jpg
>
> I'm just wondering which search engine was able to take an edited photo
> and look up the original... Damn, I thought this technology was three
> decades away! o_O

more like brute-force-looking-up

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 25 Jan 2010 11:55:22
Message: <4b5dccfa@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Too bad it's not genuine. Here's the original:
>
> http://samanathon.com/images/white-vader.jpg

That just has to be Luke's uncle.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: How lightsabers work
Date: 25 Jan 2010 12:51:11
Message: <4b5dda0f$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:30:03 +0100, Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

>>> I prefer my hot coffee. :)
>>
>> Just don't put the lightsaber too far into the cup, or you'll be
>> cleaning coffee off the floor....
>>
> Well for most practical day-to-day applications a light-pocket-knife
> would surely be more appropriate :-)

Yeah, that would seem to be the case - but the power cell is the size of
a pack of Life Savers, so that's going to be a somewhat larger knife. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Jan 2010 01:07:32
Message: <4b5e86a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/24/2010 1:55 PM, Warp wrote:
> Patrick Elliott<sel### [at] npgcablecom>  wrote:
>> On 1/24/2010 12:48 PM, nemesis wrote:
>>> http://www.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm/printable
>>>
>>> I'm sure this is old, but damn nice reading anyway, specially the shots in the
>>> end... :)
>>>
>> You know.. The irony here is that this gives me ideas on how to design
>> the "internals" to actually look right. lol
>
>    Nitpicking, but how is that "irony"?

Because.. Prior to this I had thought about buying the parts to make one
of the replicas work, and was trying to figure out what junk I had that
I could use to make it look impressive inside. Thus, this was just one
of the things I was thinking about at the time it was posted.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2010 04:11:06
Message: <4b5eb1aa@news.povray.org>
>> I'm just wondering which search engine was able to take an edited
>> photo and look up the original... Damn, I thought this technology was
>> three decades away! o_O
>
> more like brute-force-looking-up

There isn't enough time in the universe.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2010 04:12:32
Message: <4b5eb200$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> [Not that you can legally refer to the hot sugar-milk I drink as "tea"...]
>
>   Milk? Who puts milk in tea? Once you add milk to tea, it stops being tea.
>
>   It's "the drink formerly know as tea", or "the drink" for short.

In my country, people who do *not* put milk in tea are regarded as weird.

Is this different in other countries then?

[OTOH, the stuff *I* drink is regarded as weird in just about *every*
country...]

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Jan 2010 05:38:36
Message: <4b5ec62c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> [Not that you can legally refer to the hot sugar-milk I drink as
>>> "tea"...]
>>
>>   Milk? Who puts milk in tea? Once you add milk to tea, it stops being
>> tea.
>>
>>   It's "the drink formerly know as tea", or "the drink" for short.
>
> In my country, people who do *not* put milk in tea are regarded as weird.

Speak for yourself.
Gentlefolk consider it common to adulterate tea with milk and sugar. In
fact green (China) tea is the only tea for a sophisticated palate.

History aside drinking black tea (India or China) is quite widespread.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Jan 2010 08:08:07
Message: <4b5ee937@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> On 1/24/2010 1:55 PM, Warp wrote:
> > Patrick Elliott<sel### [at] npgcablecom>  wrote:

> >> You know.. The irony here is that this gives me ideas on how to design
> >> the "internals" to actually look right. lol
> >
> >    Nitpicking, but how is that "irony"?
> >
> Because.. Prior to this I had thought about buying the parts to make one
> of the replicas work, and was trying to figure out what junk I had that
> I could use to make it look impressive inside. Thus, this was just one
> of the things I was thinking about at the time it was posted.

  Ok, but I still can't see the irony of the situation.

  (Irony is always a juxtaposition of opposites. Typically something is
intended, but the exact opposite happens instead.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Captain Jack
Date: 26 Jan 2010 09:13:31
Message: <4b5ef88b$1@news.povray.org>
>>> I'm just wondering which search engine was able to take an edited photo
>>> and look up the original... Damn, I thought this technology was three
>>> decades away! o_O
>>
>> more like brute-force-looking-up
>
> There isn't enough time in the universe.

Yeah, but time is a completely different beast in the galaxy that's far far
away. Never forget the lesson of the Kessel run...

:-D

--
Jack

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Jan 2010 16:16:08
Message: <4b5f5b98@news.povray.org>
>> In my country, people who do *not* put milk in tea are regarded as weird.
>
> Speak for yourself.

Find an advert on British TV depicting tea that doesn't have milk in it. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/