POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am now a member... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  I am now a member... (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Chambers
Subject: I am now a member...
Date: 12 Jan 2010 22:27:37
Message: <4b4d3da9$1@news.povray.org>
...of the IEEE.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: I am now a member...
Date: 12 Jan 2010 22:55:00
Message: <web.4b4d431490ea3c8acd7db9a80@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> ...of the IEEE.

whoa!  congrats!

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 13 Jan 2010 02:34:19
Message: <4b4d777b@news.povray.org>
> ...of the IEEE.

Well done!  I'm still waiting for my managers to sign off my IMechE
application... need to remind them again.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2010 08:15:08
Message: <4b4dc75c@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> ...of the IEEE.
>
> Well done!  I'm still waiting for my managers to sign off my IMechE
> application... need to remind them again.

Pardon my ignorance, but... in what way is being a member of IEEE (or
similar) useful?

Post a reply to this message

>> Well done!  I'm still waiting for my managers to sign off my IMechE
>> application... need to remind them again.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but... in what way is being a member of IEEE (or
> similar) useful?

Depending on who you work for it might be absolutely necessary (eg in
structural engineering), help you get promoted, or do nothing at all.  It
will also help you if you decide to apply for a new job.  In the end it just
proves you are a proper engineer and have demonstrated your ability IRL.

Post a reply to this message

>> Pardon my ignorance, but... in what way is being a member of IEEE (or
>> similar) useful?
>
> Depending on who you work for it might be absolutely necessary (eg in
> structural engineering), help you get promoted, or do nothing at all.
> It will also help you if you decide to apply for a new job.  In the end
> it just proves you are a proper engineer and have demonstrated your
> ability IRL.

OK, fair enough.

Post a reply to this message

> >> Well done!  I'm still waiting for my managers to sign off my IMechE
> >> application... need to remind them again.
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance, but... in what way is being a member of IEEE (or
> > similar) useful?
>
> Depending on who you work for it might be absolutely necessary (eg in
> structural engineering), help you get promoted, or do nothing at all.  It
> will also help you if you decide to apply for a new job.  In the end it just
> proves you are a proper engineer and have demonstrated your ability IRL.

Since I'm studying electronics, the main benefit to me is the bullet point on my
resume :)

(Maybe I can finally get out of banking, now... although with my luck, I'll end
up designing ATMs or something...)

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message