POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : this is what Google Earth should look like! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  this is what Google Earth should look like! (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: nemesis
Subject: this is what Google Earth should look like!
Date: 5 Nov 2009 21:50:01
Message: <web.4af38e6cbb7e672d7c88d19c0@news.povray.org>
http://vimeo.com/7441085

Just beautiful to look at.  and to listen to (wonder which music is that)...

real-time demo from inside Blender's Game Engine...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Subject: Re: this is what Google Earth should look like!
Date: 6 Nov 2009 02:32:00
Message: <4af3d0f0@news.povray.org>
> http://vimeo.com/7441085
>
> Just beautiful to look at.  and to listen to (wonder which music is
> that)...
>
> real-time demo from inside Blender's Game Engine...

No doubt Warp will come along and complain that it isn't realistic that you
can see the stars or night lights at the same time as the sun or lit earth
:-)

Looks good though, reminds me of the music visualisation on the PS3 with the
Earth - that's pretty cool too.  There seem to be a few groups of people
that are trying to make a real-time Earth viewer from space down to high
detail terrain (adding in "random" detail once you get below the resolution
of the available data).

It seems like currently there is the technical potential for an awesome game
with those sort of graphics and the dataset of google Earth :-)