POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optical failure Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Optical failure (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Optical failure
Date: 21 Sep 2009 09:14:43
Message: <4ab77c43$1@news.povray.org>
There's a well-known illusion where you have a bunch of identical blue
squares, each surrounded by a different background, and it makes the
blue squares look like they're all different shades of blue (even though
they are in fact identical).

However, for some reason, I can't get this particular illusion to work.
Take a look at the attachment. All the blue squares are clearly and
obviously the same shade of blue. WTF?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'colours.png' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'colours.png'
colours.png

> There's a well-known illusion where you have a bunch of identical blue
> squares, each surrounded by a different background, and it makes the
> blue squares look like they're all different shades of blue (even though
> they are in fact identical).
>
> However, for some reason, I can't get this particular illusion to work.
> Take a look at the attachment. All the blue squares are clearly and
> obviously the same shade of blue. WTF?

Get rid of the white padding between the squares?
It's possibly too close to the pale blue centres and is giving the brain
a reference colour.

Have fewer larger squares?

Now experiment to find the maximum resolution of this type of illusion
that still tricks the brain?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike the Elder
Date: 21 Sep 2009 09:50:01
Message: <web.4ab783ad5c49a6a885627c70@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> There's a well-known illusion where you have a bunch of identical blue
> squares, each surrounded by a different background, and it makes the
> blue squares look like they're all different shades of blue (even though
> they are in fact identical).
>
> However, for some reason, I can't get this particular illusion to work.
> Take a look at the attachment. All the blue squares are clearly and
> obviously the same shade of blue. WTF?

Best explanation I know of is here:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/06/24/the-blue-and-the-green/

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Sep 2009 09:59:12
Message: <fj1fb5det930dias46ojbv3v5u72ddubla@4ax.com>
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:14:42 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> All the blue squares are clearly and
>obviously the same shade of blue. WTF?

Different shades of grey to me. (I must get a new laptop)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2009 10:20:05
Message: <4ab78b95$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:

> Best explanation I know of is here:
> http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/06/24/the-blue-and-the-green/

Heh, that really does work...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'illusion1.png' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'illusion1.png'
illusion1.png

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 21 Sep 2009 10:30:14
Message: <4ab78df6$1@news.povray.org>
Instead of "optical failure", shouldn't this be "optical success"?

--
"Eureka!" said Archimedes to the skunk.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2009 10:39:10
Message: <4ab7900e$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:

> Instead of "optical failure", shouldn't this be "optical success"?

Or, as one newpaper once posed, "if you set out to fail, and succeed,
what have you done?"

BEHOLD THE LIER PARADOX! GODEL, ESCHER, BACH, AN ETERNAL GOLDEN BRAID!!!

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 21 Sep 2009 11:27:31
Message: <4ab79b63@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:
> There's a well-known illusion where you have a bunch of identical blue
> squares, each surrounded by a different background, and it makes the
> blue squares look like they're all different shades of blue (even though
> they are in fact identical).
>
> However, for some reason, I can't get this particular illusion to work.
> Take a look at the attachment. All the blue squares are clearly and
> obviously the same shade of blue. WTF?

Your squares are simply way too small (on an average computer display at
average viewing distances) for this to work.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Sep 2009 11:29:15
Message: <4ab79bcb$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:30:16 -0500, Neeum Zawan wrote:

> Instead of "optical failure", shouldn't this be "optical success"?

It's a brain failure failure. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 Sep 2009 04:38:27
Message: <4ab88d03@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Heh, that really does work...

You know, I'm not so sure this is a mental illusion. Viewing the image
horrifically out of focus still shows the same effect, so I'm not sure
the illusion is mental; I think it might literally be optical.