POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Want to come up with "editor's picks on a public doman DVD? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Want to come up with "editor's picks on a public doman DVD? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Want to come up with "editor's picks on a public doman DVD?
Date: 1 Aug 2009 23:25:01
Message: <web.4a7505ea8d1b600552e7fbd00@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a compilation of public domain e-books in HTML format. One idea I
have is to provide as many ways as possible of accessing the 3800+ books on the
DVD. One is editor's picks.

I'm willing to spend $10 on postage mailing discs to folks who promise to
consider the possibility of reviewing the collection to come up with say ten of
their favorites.  For example, the book has most of the works of Joseph Conrad
and Jules Verne, plus some obscure stuff in old sea tales, mystery, relgion,
science (Huxley), bedtime stories (Potter) etc. etc..

The task would be to like come up with a pen name (Ex: "Johnny"), a 3 to 10 word
description of your self/ your literary tastes (engineer who loves fishing), and
about ten of your favorites off of the collection, either ones you discover
after browsing the collection or had read before.  like "20,000 Leagues under
the Sea is a classic tale of science fiction."  Just looking for a promise to
consider doing this work. I also cannot promise I'll actually be able to use
the editor's picks lists, for various reasons.

It's of course better to have folks who are not complete ideological clones of
myself.  FWIW, the collection includes all the topics I'm interested in but
inevitably (and thankfully) includes stuff I don't agree with.

If you're interested, send your postal address to the email address I use most
often.  That email address has the same "userid" as the one I registered with
here in this forum, but is provided by Google, Inc.

I may focus on people in the US.  I think there's something about some other
countries having stricter copyright laws as far as when you may distribute a
work (that has lapsed into the US public domain).  I'm open to disabuse of this
perception as well.

If 100 people respond, I may frankly chose a handful at random. I'm thinking
I'll only spend $10 on postage for this entire thing.

thanks.