POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why semantic search reeks Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Why semantic search reeks (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Why semantic search reeks
Date: 27 May 2009 16:30:38
Message: <4a1da2ee$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> I'm sure Google had to add a special case in order to find "C++". Or maybe
> it uses the sheer amount of results having it. It would usually ignore that
> punctuation.

I imagine so too. In the early days, you had to search for "dotnet", which I
think is still out there to a great extent.

And of course you *still* get collisions with all the sites that talk about
yiddayadda.net.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> I'm sure Google had to add a special case in order to find "C++". Or
>> maybe it uses the sheer amount of results having it. It would usually
>> ignore that punctuation.
>
> I imagine so too. In the early days, you had to search for "dotnet", which
> I think is still out there to a great extent.

In the early days...

"the" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
"who" is a common word so it was ignored from your query

No results.

Post a reply to this message

> "the" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
> "who" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>
> No results.

Yes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> "the" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>> "who" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>>
>> No results.
>
> Yes.

"yes" is a common word so it was ignored from your query

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

> "yes" is a common word so it was ignored from your query

Good luck finding that band that used to have Wakeman in it...

Post a reply to this message

>> "yes" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>
> Good luck finding that band that used to have Wakeman in it...

A keyboard player 'par excellence'. I assume you are aspiring to the
heights of his abilities ;-)

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

>>> "yes" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>> Good luck finding that band that used to have Wakeman in it...
>
> A keyboard player 'par excellence'. I assume you are aspiring to the
> heights of his abilities ;-)

I actually have no idea what Yes sounded like. I just like their cover
art... ;-)

I did, however, see Mr Wakeman live in concert a few weeks ago at
Hampton Court.

Post a reply to this message

>>> "the" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>>> "who" is a common word so it was ignored from your query
>>>
>>> No results.
>> Yes.
>
> "yes" is a common word so it was ignored from your query

Hey, thanks for picking up on that and hammering it into the greasy spot
where the dead horse used to be. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>>> Good luck finding that band that used to have Wakeman in it...
>>
>> A keyboard player 'par excellence'. I assume you are aspiring to the
>> heights of his abilities ;-)
>
> I actually have no idea what Yes sounded like. I just like their cover
>
> I did, however, see Mr Wakeman live in concert a few weeks ago at
> Hampton Court.

The *real* reason "why semantic search reeks": This news post, for
example, has NOTHING TO DO with the stated topic! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/