POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inheritance of acquired traits Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Inheritance of acquired traits (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Chambers
Subject: Inheritance of acquired traits
Date: 25 Jan 2009 00:53:18
Message: <5DC321F06DAB477E9075ABEFD328C510@HomePC>
http://www.newsweek.com/id/180103?gt1=43002

Apparently, experiences that parents undergo can affect the genes passed
on to their children.

For instance, the diets of lab mice have been shown to activate or mask
certain portions of their DNA.

This makes sense to me - after all, DNA is just a bunch of molecules, so
I would think there are a number of things (and dietary habits would be
close to the top of the list) that affect genes.

The real head-scratcher is the case of the water-fleas, who are born
with or without helmets depending on their mother's experiences with
predators.  Specifically, the fact that in both cases their DNA is
identical.  The only thing I can think of is that the mother's
experiences trigger a certain set of hormones which are present during
development of the eggs, resulting in the presence or absence of
helmets.

...Ben Chambers

www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Apparently, experiences that parents undergo can affect the genes passed
> on to their children.

Cool. I always thought something like that was likely. It's a shame the
title of the page is so wrong. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"