POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  So linux actually costs $40 (Message 17 to 26 of 46)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: So linux actually costs $40
Date: 8 Oct 2008 15:31:40
Message: <48ed0a9c@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen escreveu:
> Darren New wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> And my point is that it's irrelevant and superfluous.
>> Well, unless you want to use youtube or google chat.
>>

> Youtube can be used via downloaders. It's not as practical, but possible.
>
> Flash, in the form it exists right now, should be banned from this
> world. It's a nice idea, but pretty much screwed up as a system.

OTOH, better Flash than Silverlight, huh Darren? ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 8 Oct 2008 15:32:28
Message: <48ed0acc$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> nemesis wrote:
>> And my point is that it's irrelevant and superfluous.
>
> Well, unless you want to use youtube or google chat.

I don't mind idiotube and GoogleChat is in javascript AFAIK.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Oct 2008 16:24:15
Message: <48ed16ef@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> > nemesis wrote:
> >> And my point is that it's irrelevant and superfluous.
> >
> > Well, unless you want to use youtube or google chat.
> >

> Youtube can be used via downloaders. It's not as practical, but possible.

> Flash, in the form it exists right now, should be banned from this
> world. It's a nice idea, but pretty much screwed up as a system.

  I think you are letting your aversion take over rational judgement
because you can't concede even one single positive thing about Flash
(ie. that it makes services like YouTube really practical).

  Well, if you don't want to use Flash, that's your loss.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> OTOH, better Flash than Silverlight, huh Darren? ;)

Dunno. I never really looked into the innards of either.

MS *does* tend to improve what they copy. :-)  I'd expect Silverlight to
be better in many ways than Flash, just because MS got to see all the
things Flash did wrong.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>>> And my point is that it's irrelevant and superfluous.
>> Well, unless you want to use youtube or google chat.
>>

> Youtube can be used via downloaders. It's not as practical, but possible.
>
> Flash, in the form it exists right now, should be banned from this
> world. It's a nice idea, but pretty much screwed up as a system.

I would almost agree, but I've seen more of what Flash is capable of.
I'll stick to just banning it from simple menus, and repeating movie
clips for advertisements. For 2.5D, and 3D, interactive spaces it's
actually pretty useful.

Post a reply to this message

>> And my point is that it's irrelevant and superfluous.
>
> Well, unless you want to use youtube or google chat.

google chat? Since when that uses Flash?

Post a reply to this message

Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:

> Youtube can be used via downloaders. It's not as practical, but possible.

.... which is the "live in a mud hut, wipe with a leaf" option. And again, how
many distros (I know many won't play MPEG-I's off the bat) will play whatever
you have bothered to download?

Post a reply to this message