POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick: name seven gases in your house! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Quick: name seven gases in your house! (Message 1 to 10 of 51)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Quick: name seven gases in your house!
Date: 11 Jan 2008 07:55:01
Message: <web.4787663096edb8fb34d207310@news.povray.org>
My son has an elementary school homework assignment where he's supposed to do
simple observations on a solid, liquid, and gas for seven days.  Solids: easy,
liquids: seven is probably exact the number that is easy to name.  Gases?  So
far, we've done air, boiling water, and the smoke from cooking fish.  But
that's about all I can think of without either getting dangerous or overly
egg-headed.

Post a reply to this message

> My son has an elementary school homework assignment where he's supposed to do
> simple observations on a solid, liquid, and gas for seven days.  Solids: easy,
> liquids: seven is probably exact the number that is easy to name.  Gases?  So
> far, we've done air, boiling water, and the smoke from cooking fish.  But
> that's about all I can think of without either getting dangerous or overly
> egg-headed.

Without breaking air down into oxygen, nitrogen and argon, how about:

Air
Steam
Methane (natural gas)
Butane (lighter gas)
Carbon dioxide (exhalation)
Carbon monoxide (faulty appliances - hopefully not!)
Argon (fluorescent lightbulbs)
Neon (the same)

Post a reply to this message

> My son has an elementary school homework assignment where he's supposed to do
> simple observations on a solid, liquid, and gas for seven days.  Solids: easy,
> liquids: seven is probably exact the number that is easy to name.  Gases?  So
> far, we've done air, boiling water, and the smoke from cooking fish.  But
> that's about all I can think of without either getting dangerous or overly
> egg-headed.

That's... quite hard.

Iron vapour, anyone?

--